Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Amethyst... the color of me.

 While not a true purple, these glass beads and shells are a shade of amethyst that caught my eye immediately. Having worked in a jewelry store for a bit, I noticed that many stones we assume are a just one color, often come in a variation of the common shades. From what I've garnered in research, a true amethyst is purple with flashes of red. I do like the version with a touch more of the red, but all are so pretty!
Throughout history amethyst has been used to guard against drunkenness and is thought to be helpful in overcoming addiction. It has been used for hearing disorders, insomnia, headaches and other pain. Some sources suggest it is used to stabilize mental disorders. Worn to make the wearer gentle and amiable. Amethyst powers include: dreams, healing, peace, love, spiritual upliftment, courage,  psychism, protection against thieves, and happiness. While these beads are glass, and not true amethyst, I wonder if the color itself has magical powers......
This shell pendant is much like a true amethyst in that it is a deep purple, with flashes of red. It's hard to pick that up by photo though so you will have to take my word for it. Regardless, this lovely necklace is so feminine and yet bold, with the chunky beads and large pendant. For more information you can see them here.... Simply Sheryl's

No comments: