Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Outsider Art- My newest discovery

I have been wondering about the term "outsider" art for a long time. I stumble across the term as I look for selling venues for my art but never really knew what it was. Here's a definition I found that seems to match the modern idea of what "outsider" art is. Outsider art is the term commonly used to refer to creative works made by people with no formal art training who create work based on their inner experience, without reference to mainstream art practice. 
The piece above was done by a Texas butcher Charles A. A. Dellschau who lived from 1830 to 1923. He had a love of the idea of flight, which showed in his Jules Verne-style flying machines.
I was wondering what to do with that spool of crochet thread I have, but you know, I probably wouldn't do this... Another form of outsider art incorporates items such as you see here. I'm still learning about this form of art, but it appears that not all art labeled "outsider" art is true to the origins of this genre of art. For more information on outsider art Wikipedia has a fascinating page on this topic.  Here's to a creative day!

2 comments:

anotherlinda said...

Very interesting to read, Sheryl! Thank you! Linda

Sheryl Parsons said...

Thank you Linda. I am trying to learn more about all the different types of art and their origins. As I do I want to share. I'm glad you are reading these. :-) Sheryl