Sunday, March 11, 2012

Of Chickens and Things....

Chickens are funny creatures. They scratch and peck and bwaak bwaak their way around a yard, skittering here and there to catch a bug, or get out of the way if necessary. More and more folks are getting into raising chickens, and here in Utah there are communities that have passed ordinances allowing town folk to have a limited number on their property.
When we lived in North Pole we had several chickens, the white Cornish cross we would raise every year for eating. The year my ex and I split the second time I was left with about 30. They became my visitor greeters, surrounding any vehicle that came into our driveway, pecking at their tires and waiting for the "victim" to get out. I looked out my living room window one day to see a friend sitting on his bike with my little flock staring up at him. They even tried to go running with me and another friend one day. We took off down my drive and heard the skitter of tiny feet. As we looked back all my little hens were following us, trying to keep up.
We would like to raise laying hens some day, but for now, I will suffice with painting them. Here's a pastel I did yesterday. Do you have chickens?

2 comments:

Anne said...

This is just beautiful!! I love chickens, and would dearly love to be able to have some, but we live in town...(though I know people who have a few, I would be the one to be caught...I'm going to check into this further, though!)Lovely blog! I'm a new follower ~ ♥♥
Best,
Anne

Sheryl Parsons said...

Thank you Anne! I appreciate your following me, and will now go check out your blog. :-)